I have never had a shortage of things to say (since long before I became a broadcaster – ask any friend or family member) so first; Thank You for all the wonderful birthday wishes –I am overwhelmed!
But lacking another venue on this day, I gifted myself with the following thoughts. I know there are more, but here are 47 of my “good things”.
Please, please add one of your own to the list.
I am grateful…
1. To have 2 feet on the grass instead of 2 feet under (from a caller long ago, but it still holds true)
2. To have 2 remarkable and confounding children
3. To have found the love of my life
4. To add 3 amazing young women to my expanding family – I always wanted more kids and I don’t have to feed anyone in the middle of the night!
5. For the goofy golden retrievers who are giving my Luckybean something to think about in her golden years and making me (mostly) laugh with their antics (I still can’t believe I didn’t get a picture of the biggest one in the little fish pond!)
6. For parents and siblings who share in my joys and step up to the plate without me asking
7. Especially for my BFF and sister who lives far away but makes me feel like she doesn’t
8. To MB for finding the love of my life for me, even though I think she was drinking that night
9. For having friends who started getting in touch yesterday to offer me birthday wishes
10. For ice cream cake and blueberry pie
11. For meeting so many lovely chefs, gardeners, entertainers, writers and thought provoking guests who joined me on SiriusXM, as well as the callers…all great teachers!
12. For lemons…one of the world’s best foods, but also great for cleaning. And while I’m at it…pizza, pasta, garlic and scones with cream & jam
13. For being just flexible enough to adopt a hamster even though buying rodents for the house never used to make sense
14. For my partners-in-crime at Martha Stewart Living Radio, especially JonCos, Brian Kelsey (watch for his new TV show!) Dion, Monty & Sandy Gluck who made work such a pleasure
15. For lemon curd – eggs, lemon (see above) sugar +heat = magic
16. For my NEW raised gardening bed, a gift from the love of my life, who knew I wouldn’t stop discussing until it appeared…standby for further adventures
17. For window boxes
18. For the birds who find the birdbath & pond despite the 3 dogs
19. For an appreciation of green regardless of whether it’s grass or weed
20. For sun on my birthday, a long delayed childhood wish (the rain came later, but it saved me from watering)
21. For the best rose season of my life!
22. For my ipad – a life changer
23. For a walk in any direction
24. For airplanes and their many destinations
25. For indoor plumbing & washing machines
26. For cellphones, Facebook, twitter, email and every other way we keep in touch
27. For the charcoal grill, as idiosyncratic as it sometimes can be
28. For my health that I may work and care for others as well as myself
29. For the opportunity to live in a country with some of the world’s greatest freedoms
30. For the music that comes with the love of my life, making our world so much richer
31. For ridiculous YouTube videos the kids share, but more for the sharing than the actual videos
32. For Homer Simpson who gives my youngest a reference point in conversation that always makes us laugh.
33. For Orwashers jelly doughnuts and breads – OMG, ‘nuff said
34. For wine, long may it live (and whine, because sometimes the two go together)
35. For a healthy appreciation of good grammar
36. For shoes, short, stacked, pump or boot – we don’t discriminate
37. For golf (on behalf of the LOML)
38. To an elderly client who told me the story of the love of her life
39. For Bon Jovi and Bruce, but for different reasons
40. To the refrigerator without which we would be spending much more time in the kitchen
41. For Hot Coffee
42. For Iced Coffee
43. For the research supporting the drinking of coffee
44. For Starbucks and all its competitors
45. For the man who gave me the bottomless Starbucks card
46. For the very young man who used his first real paycheck to take me to lunch
47. For another day tomorrow